Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Rough Few Days

After the Jungle Trek, I felt like absolute sh*t. Not even a 1 hour Thai massage could do the trick for my sore body. The one night that everyone from the trek was planning on going out to a bar to celebrate, I found myself with a 102-degree fever in bed with tension headaches and severe body aches. The following day I visited the Chiang Mai hospital for a diagnosis and blood test. They confirmed my original fears: Dengue Fever. A Mosquito-transmitted virus that lasts for about 7 days, Dengue fever is much more dangerous with children and the elderly. I weathered the fever pretty well, drank a ton of water every day, and just monitored my fever. Now I'm feeling much better. No worries.

My experience in the hospital was extremely pleasant, shattering all my predispositions. English speaking doctors and nurses assisted me within 10 minutes of my arrival. During the blood test, I was somewhat skeptical how sanitary the needles were, foolishly assuming I was in a third-world impoverished village. But the experience was seamless, in fact much easier than in the US. They followed all standard medical procedures, were very polite, patient, and freindly, and the entire visit (With blood test and Rx) cost me about $70 USD. A fraction of what the same visit would cost in the States. Now, of course, I must take into consideration that everything is less expensive here. However, it was still extremely efficient, and we have found hospitals all over Thailand with quick and easy medical care. In Bangkok, we were able to swing by one of the largest private hospitals in the country. The building was designed like a 5 star resort, with comfy lounge chairs strewn across the lobby, easy to read signs, complete with Starbucks Coffee in the lobby. It was no Ronald Reagan Medical Center, but for Thailand it sure comes close. Of course, the research advantages of UCLA medcenter are the reason it is ranked #3 in the US.

I guess my main point is that Thailand has built an incredibally impressive infrastructure, especially in the big cities. Brand new monorail and metro systems in Bangkok, a stellar new international airport, as well as a nearly flawless medical system for all citizens. (I was impressed, LA city could take some notes for public transit)

1 comment:

Narbs said...

thats pretty scary...have you checked to see if youve attained any strange powers from the bite like spider man did? im just saying...